Monday, October 8, 2018


10-8-18

Back to Peggy Sue's 50s Diner for breakfast today.  I am so spoiled!  Above is a picture of the Yellow Brick Road,  which was more like the Yellow Linoleum Road.  When you are seating yourself the wait staff tells you to follow it.

Behind Peggy Sue's is a Diner Saur Park.  I had to take a few pictures there.  It is difficult to discern Tarzan, but he is there.


After breakfast we went in search of the Liberty Sculpture Park.  Following the GPS we found a yard full of geese.  Not the sculpture park.
After the geese, we found Eddie's World.  I had to take a picture of Eddie's storage tank, but we didn't go inside.  Yes, that's a cherry on top. But no sculptures.

After Eddie's we spotted the Yermo, CA post office so we stopped to mail something and saw a little old lady walking her dog.  We asked her to point us toward the Liberty Sculpture Park but she wasn't sure what we were talking about until I showed her a picture on my phone.  Then she proceeded to give us precise instructions after informing us that she has lived in the area for 59 years.  "Well, turn around and go right where the gas station used to be," she said.  "I think you go one or two roads past that and turn where the Colonel lives.  You know he lives in a trailer, don't you?"  By that time Gary and I were holding our collective breath trying to be polite and not burst out laughing.  The directions went on like this for at least five more minutes when we gently extricated ourselves from the conversation and wished her a good morning.

Amazingly, we found the park by ourselves.  It contained exactly two sculptures.  One was of the head of Crazy Horse.  On the back was inscribed "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death" a direct quote from Patrick Henry that had nothing to do with Native Americans.  I was afraid there were snakes in this particular part of the desert or I would have fallen down laughing, again.  What a morning!

The other sculpture was even more of a surprise.  Here in the desert of Yermo, CA, in the middle of nowhere and next to I-15 was a large statue honoring LiWangyang, a Chinese dissident who participated in Tiananmen Square and was jailed for 21 years before he died in 2012 under suspicious circumstances.  I have no idea why it was here.
After we finally found the sculpture park we rode into Barstow, CA to experience historic Main Street which pays homage to the old Route 66.  Tomorrow we cross the state line into Arizona.

1 comment:

  1. I am dying laughing about the directions "your" little old lady gave. When I get ancient, let me be THAT funny. I am noticing that there are far more cool statues than Portland has. The PNW needs to get on the ball - and not the giant golf ball. The sculptures you are preserving for posterity are treasures!!!! I am having a really good time on your trip thus far. Please keep avoiding the snakes.

    ReplyDelete