Monday, December 10, 2018

12-10-18
May be my favorite sign of all time.  Seen in downtown Foley, AL on a cold December day.

We visited several tourist spots in Foley today.  The first was the Hospital Museum on the site of the first hospital in town.  My favorite room was the Room of Quackery which contained a dispenser for radioactive water, which poisoned whoever used it, and a machine that supposedly had healing colored lights.

They reminded me that people have an unlimited capacity to believe anything they want to believe.

After seeing the local Welcome Center we went to the adjacent train museum.  Very quaint.
We saw this sign in a car window, which seemed a bit provocative to me.  Can you imagine having this in your window?

The highlight of the day was lunch at Lambert's Cafe, home of  throwed rolls.  Yes, I said "throwed".  This restaurant is unlike any I have previously experienced.  You order your main dish, which could be a burger or any normal dish, and two side dishes.  In addition, waiters are walking around serving "pass arounds" which are fried potatoes, cabbage, black eyed peas, fried okra and other unlimited items.  But the main attraction was the throwing of the rolls.  A man was pushing a cart full of large, warm rolls and throwing them to/at customers.  Some of them were caught and some were not.  Some he threw forward and some behind his back. I got hit by one, which was part of the fun.  Also, the food portions were enormous.  Check out throwedrolls.com.
Here was my plate of fried chicken livers.  I will be eating them for days!

There were a few dinosaurs on the side of the road.

Here is a new discovery, Bamahenge.  It is a partial replica of Stonehenge made of fiberglass.







No comments:

Post a Comment