Friday, March 16, 2018

3-16-18

Our first trip of the season began today in cold, drippy Lake Oswego.  In two and a half hours we were in Newport, Oregon on the coast.  It is pretty chilly here, as well, but we are cozy in the trailer.

The first unusual thing we saw was near I-205 at the beginning of the trip.  There is a business that sells garden rocks and other stone items but raises chickens and pigs on the premises.  The hog corral had a bonfire going in the center and the pigs seemed to be gathered around it for the warmth.  We thought that, even though they were comfortable, it was a sad foreshadowing of their probable future as BBQ.

The second unusual thing we saw was a billboard advertising home delivery of cannabis.  Recreational pot is legal in Oregon but we had no idea you could have it delivered. 

We are staying at the Port of Newport RV Park which is very nice.  We have a lovely view of the Yaquina Bay Bridge from here.  The only drawback is that we are in the tsunami zone.  I don't think of it ALL the time when I am in it, but it is in the back of my mind.  We have a plan to grab the pups and jump into the truck if the sirens ever go off, but I'll be happy to skip that experience.




View from the bridge

We had dinner at The Lucky Elephant, a Thai restaurant nearby.  I had my favorite, Pumpkin Curry (mild) with chicken and Gary had Salt and Pepper Shrimp which were covered with jalapeno slices.  I am not fond of that much heat in my food but he loves it.

Then back to the TrailBayser to walk the dogs.  Tomorrow Gary hopes to play golf on one of the courses around here built on sand.  The courses at home are too wet to play right now. 

1 comment:

  1. Has there ever been a tsunami there? I wasn't aware. Pictures are beautiful. Enjoy the getaway.

    ReplyDelete