Monday, March 7, 2016

Before you read this, I am fine now.  However, yesterday afternoon I experienced atrial fibrillation, which is an irregular heartbeat which can lead to stroke, for the first time and I had to go to the emergency room and spend the night in the hospital.  It was quite an experience.

Gary drove me from the RV Park to the hospital where the staff determined with an EKG that I was not having a heart attack.  Then they used various medications to slow down my heart beat and lower my blood pressure.  After about 4 hours in the ER, where I saw many different varieties of injuries and illnesses, I was admitted.

Hospitals are not about getting any sleep.  Many different nurses, assistants, technicians, etc. gave me tests, including an echocardiogram at 11:30 PM.  My roommate was also interesting, an older lady who used to be a nurse and freely dispensed advice about my condition during the night.

The good news is that my arrhythmia was stabilized with drugs and the doctor said there was no reason not to continue our trip.  I will check with my doctor when I get back to Oregon.  Let's hope this was a one-time thing!!

After coming back to the RV after being released, I took a nap and tonight Gary and I had dinner with our former neighbors, Donna and Bonnie.  It was great to see them.  Gary will play golf with them during the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment